Your feet are the foundation of your body. They support you when you stand, walk, or run. And they help protect your spine, bones, and soft tissues from damaging stress as you move around. Your feet perform better when all their muscles, arches, and bones are in their ideal stable positions.
The foot is constructed with three arches which, when properly maintained, give exceptional supportive strength. These three arches form a supporting vault that distributes the weight of the entire body.
If there is compromise of one arch in the foot, the other arches must compensate and are subject to additional stresses, which usually leads to further compromise.
It’s a Chain Reaction
Healthcare professionals know alleviating pain in one part of your body often requires treating a different part. The pain you feel in your neck could be caused by a misalignment in your spine that is caused by unbalanced positioning in your feet. It’s a chain reaction.
By stabilizing and balancing your feet, Foot Levelers orthotics enhance your body’s performance and efficiency, reduce pain, and contribute to your total body wellness. Our orthotics complement your healthcare professional’s treatment when you stand, walk, and live your active life.
How Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers Work
Patients with certain types of spinal problems benefit from custom made orthotic support (SPS Stabilizers, Shoethotics®, or Sandalthotics®). These devices stabilize the foundation of the pelvis and spine by first addressing structural problems with the feet, thereby reducing abnormal forces and stresses, while enhancing structural and functional relationships.
- The joints and muscles of the body function most efficiently when they are in physical balance. Principles of engineering have shown that with any physical entity, whether it is a bridge, a building, or the human body— Structure dictates function.
- The body is a biomechanical kinetic chain where abnormal movements at one line, or joint, can interfere with proper movements at other joints.
- During standing and walking, our bodies are subjected to natural forces and postures that can inflict mechanical stress and strain throughout the interrelated chain of joints and muscles.
- When foot imbalance is present, there is a negative impact on the knees, hips, pelvis, and spine. Some patients must have these abnormal forces reduced before they can achieve improved spinal function.
- Pronation describes the rotation of a body part downward or inward. It is actually a normal motion that occurs when walking; however, if it happens excessively, pronation can cause postural problems. The major cause of over-pronation is a decrease in the arch height.
Postural Effects from Imbalances in the Feet
- A loss of arch height will cause a flattening and rolling in of the foot— this is termed pronation. Because everything is connected, the bones of the leg also inwardly rotate.
- Excessive rotation of the bones of the leg (tibia and femur) will cause unnecessary stresses on the knee as well as twisting of the pelvis and spine. If the pronation is more prevalent on one side, there can be a resultant unleveling of the pelvis and a functional scoliosis.
- Tilting of the pelvis places tension on muscles and connective tissues, which can eventually lead to chronic back problems.
- High levels of heel-strike shock can result from breakdown of the body’s natural “shock absorbers.” The shock wave then transmits up the kinetic chain causing painful symptoms all the way up to the head, slowed recovery of leg and spine injuries, and aggravation of other conditions.
Benefits of Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers
- Properly fitted Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers support the foot to control excessive and unwanted pronation and supination. This helps to reduce unwanted stress on the body.
- Improved shock absorption reduces repetitive stress on joints and muscles, permitting smoother function and decreasing arthritic symptoms.
- Use of Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers represents a long-term, yet cost-effective intervention for many types of functional and structural problems.
How Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers Work
- Wearing Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers inside your shoes is similar to placing a shim beneath the leg of a wobbly table: it adds support to eliminate unwanted motion in the entire structure.
- The foot is formed of three distinct arches, which create an architectural vault. The result of supporting these three arches is improved stability and postural integrity.
- Flexible Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers encourage optimal muscle and nerve function by guiding the feet through a more normal pattern with each step taken.
About Foot Levelers’ Spinal Pelvic Stabilizer (SPS) Orthotics
- Foot Levelers, Inc., a leading supplier for 50 years, creates custom-made, flexible Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers to match each patient’s unique needs.
- Using weightbearing impression images of the feet in the position of function (either from a foam casting kit or a digital scanning system), along with instructions from the healthcare professional,
- Skilled laboratory technicians create unique Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers designed to correct and support areas of weakness.
- The combination of flexible, yet supportive and durable construction materials ensure that the stabilizers will both guide the feet when walking and provide support during long periods of standing.
- Unlike other stabilizing technologies, which use rigid materials to force the feet into a theoretical “ideal” position and may result in muscle atrophy and abnormal nerve proprioception, Foot Levelers’ allow controlled, supported movement for the dynamic human body.
The Gait Cycle System®.
When you walk or run, you progress through three unique phases that make up what is called the Gait Cycle. Because each part of this process places different stresses on the feet, Foot Levelers has created The Gait Cycle System® to provide unique support and protection throughout.
Many Foot Levelers products feature a comprehensive support system that addresses all three phases of the Gait Cycle: heel strike, midstance, and toe-off.
The Gait Cycle System® Works Like This:
- At heel strike, The Gait Cycle System offers a Zorbacel® heel pad for maximum shock absorption.
- The StanceGuard™ layer provides variable firmness, flexibility, and control at midstance.
- The Gait Cycle System provides a pad of Propacel™ for a propulsive boost at toe-off to reduce fatigue.
What Makes Footlevelers Different
Foot Levelers orthotics are called something different because they are something different. Our Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers are shoe inserts that support all three arches in your feet thereby creating a stable foundation upon which to build proper body posture. We have a saying that our Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers are “Made for the feet, but designed for the body.”
Custom-made Foot Levelers are individualized to stabilize your spine and pelvis by correcting imbalances in your feet— the foundation of your skeletal system. These imbalances may occur even if you’re not experiencing foot pain. Though they may go unnoticed, these imbalances contribute to postural misalignments, pain in areas throughout your body and fatigue.
At Foot Levelers, we custom design our stabilizers through an impression or imaging process that your healthcare professional uses in his or her office. First, you step into a foam casting kit or get a digital foot scan which captures an exact impression of your feet while you are standing, with your full weight on your feet. Your healthcare provider will determine which style is appropriate for you, and then the kit or scan is sent to our laboratory where the stabilizers are created to correct any imbalances found in the three arches of your feet. Your new Foot Levelers will be sent to your care provider, who will show you how to wear and care for them.
Unique Just Like You...
Foot Levelers’ expert technicians analyze every individual foot impression or digital foot scan that we receive. Using 16 precise measurements, we create a custom-made Stabilizer that restores balance to the three arches of your feet.
- Sixteen measurements ensure that your Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers is a custom fit.
- A variety of styles are available for all activity levels. Full-length and Dress length stabilizers fit a wide variety of shoe styles.
- Only Foot Levelers' stabilizers provide support to all three arches of the foot.
- Foot Levelers’ custom made stabilizers help promote a healthy, natural, skeletal alignment for total body health.
- Your lifestyle, age, weight, activity level, and condition are all considered when we create your custom-made stabilizers.
For more information visit: www.Footlevelers.com